Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Tip Jars

Working as a barista for over three years now in various places I have still not come to an understanding of what makes a tip jar successful. I have tried countless methods to sway the customer into tipping. For one, the tip jar should never be empty but yet it should never be too full. There are customers who tip no matter what, but the majority of customers seem to decide they will tip on a whim. This whim can be perceived as something which can be persuaded.

Take a look at my tip jar today. It has a tiny cute puppy drawing with the label 'tips' on it as it announces understatedly what it is, and there are $1s in the jar.



A customary tradition is to set out a 'bait' in the tip jar when business is just beginning. This is meant for the customer to see that tipping is a trend. It is often true that a customary tipper receives far better attention than a regular non-tipper. Sometimes when someone thanks me for their espresso without tipping, I find myself saying in my head, "You're not welcome."

http://topcultured.com/35-tip-jars-designed-to-make-you-give-more/

No comments:

Post a Comment