Saturday, May 5, 2012

My Doctor's Office

As I recently was accepted for Medicaid I have made several trips to my local doctor's office, Lafayette Medical Center. Located in Bed-Stuy on Lafayette Ave, just west of Bedford Ave. My trips to this office have been painful and not because of the procedures or shots or anything to do with the actual doctor's visit. The staff behind the glass when you walk in does not acknowledge you and the waiting area is stark and unwelcoming. You could easily wait at the window for ten minutes without being acknowledged. It is up to you to capture the attention of the secretaries. Those with most success tapped or knocked on the windows or shouted through the hole at the bottom. The windows are overwhelmed with signage which I was able to take a few photos of - pictured here:


These signs...due to my observations on all occasions of being at the office are ineffectual. All loud and disturbing patrons were, in fact, seen in the office. On one occasion, upon entering the doctor's office area, to the second waiting area, I found myself sitting next to three adolescents blaring music with vulgarities and profanities from their cellphones while they flicked the flame on a lighter and sexually 'danced' in one another's laps. This seemed to be rather routine and normal as no personnel attempted to control the situation.

The staff is trying to control the patrons with these signs, but from my observation, no one is reading the signs. It is a little humorous...but not after waiting over an hour for a scheduled appointment and after feeling a profound sadness for the ills of the medical world we live in today.

1 comment:

  1. KELSO! how did i not know you have a lil bloggy blog? i will happily gobble up any of the words that come from your lovely, strange brain (even if it is for a class?). just read every last post and enjoyed every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete